Wednesday, January 21, 2009

magazineaholic

I have a confession. I love magazines. Back in the day, I even dreamed of moving to New York and working for Martha. At one point I remember talking with my roommate, who was a great writer, about the prospects of us doing our own magazine. As I progressed in my schooling however, I met a man, fell in love, graduated and realized that more than Martha and New York I wanted a family and ideally to be a stay-at-home mom, living a rural/country lifestyle in an average sized home (which I really prefer to a small pricey apartment in some high-rise in New York anyway).

I think as a left-over side effect of my dream though every time I go to the grocery store, or the book store, I have a hard time fighting the urge to spend serious time/money in the magazine aisle. I try to be a responsible magazine looker and not take advantage of the all access pass I have as a prospective magazine buyer, but lets be honest... I would be broke (not to mention have little time to do anything but read magazines) if I bought or subscribed to every magazine I wanted. I love getting lost in the pages of beautiful imagery and informative articles. Design, Photography, Style, Decorating, Crafting, Health, Beauty, Parenting, Gossip... the list goes on.

Now I try to justify not buying magazines because I get so much inspiration and great information from the world wide web, but still... there is just something about seeing those images in print. Here are some of my faves:

Parenting:

Cookie Mag



WonderTime



Decorating:
Domino


ReadyMade


Dwell


...also tempting on a regular basis- Metropolitan Home, Elle Decor, House Beautiful, and Country Living

Cooking:
Cooks Illustrated


Everyday Food


Beautiful, but often above my cooking skill level Bon Apetit and Gourmet

Living:

Martha Stewart Living:


Real Simple


Design (this is where it gets pricey):

Photoshop Creative


Print


HOW


CMYK


Communication Arts


ID


Whew! See what I mean?! The list could go on I'm sure even (sad, but true). But I must say, it feels good to get that out in the universe. After all, the first step to recovery, is admitting you have a problem, right?

1 comment:

Anna said...

I heart so many of these magazines.

FYI I buy my magazine subscriptions on amazon.com---Domino for $10 for a year, I can pay that.